Friday, January 7, 2011

A little fiber anyone?

As my run have gotten longer and longer I have been trying to figure out what I ought to be eating to make sure I am not dying on the sidewalk half way through my runs due to lack of energy....while on the flip side making sure I am eating foods that are going to keep me from making visits to every public restroom up and down US1! .  My normal fiber rich diet has taken bit of a nosedive as of late.  This may sound easy, but as of 2 days ago my little start up garden is pushing out broccoli at record speeds.


I mean really have you ever seen a head of broccoli that looked quite like this?  Oscar is 4 and it looks like this head of broccoli is eating him for dinner!

So, with that said I would love to find out what you eat the day/night before a long run?  Tomorrow's 20 miler is only my 2nd ever as we are gearing up to Marathon #1 on the 30th.  Prior to the last 20 miler I literally sustained off of white bagels the day before (the first time I have eaten a white bagel in ages as I would normally gravitate towards wheat.)  Let me know as I am always up to trying out what works for others!  Happy weekend!

3 comments:

  1. thanks for your comment today. I doubt you realize how much those few words meant, but they meant a lot to me.

    As for "what do I eat" before a long run? I'm too funny - I'm one of those people who's really sensitive. The night before safe foods include -
    lean chicken lightly sauteed
    salmon or white fish broiled
    white rice, white pasta,
    a cooked vegetable - NOT broccoli!

    Morning of, no matter how long the run is, I always eat 1/4 to 1/2 of a banana.

    Typically too much sugar (refined carbs) the day before is what causes those unplanned visits to the restrooms. Have fun. I'm a little jealous that you have a 20 tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like a good pizza! and pasta and i am still typing with one finger. and i still love your new blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just found your blog from a comment you made on another blog I read!

    Your little munchkin is ADORABLE! And that head of broccoli is ridiculous! I wish I could have a garden in my RV, but the only place to put it would be the roof or the truck bed. I'm sure the hubbster would nix either of those brilliant ideas :)

    Nellie
    http://midlifecruiser.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete